[Gllug] Temperature monitoring hardware

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 17:09:36 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 4:52 PM, Avi Greenbury
<avismailinglistaccount at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Basically, what I really want is the raw data ("right now it's x
> degrees C"), and to write my own monitoring and logging scripts.
>
> [...]
>
> Are these commonly available? Am I just looking in the wrong place? Or
> is this the excuse to buy an arduino that I've been half-heartedly
> looking for for a while?

Yes. I can't remember the manufacturer of the one that's measuring the
temperature in our server room, but it works a treat. It has a serial
interface and it's trivially easy to read. You don't even need to
write any code, you can just do it from a shell script.

http://www.google.com/search?q=rs232+thermometer

Tet

--
“It seems intuitively obvious to me, which means that it might be
wrong.” -- Chris Torek
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk