[Gllug] emulating a pendrive

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Tue Oct 13 10:41:32 UTC 2009

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 04:35:31AM +0200, salsaman at xs4all.nl wrote:
> Hi,
> I have dvd player which is able to play mp3's, show photos, etc. from
> files which are stored on a pendrive.
>
> Today I came up with the idea that I might be able to connect my (linux)
> desktop machine to the dvd player via a usb cable, and have the linux
> machine appear like a giant pendrive to the dvd player.
>
> Is this possible, and if so, is there some existing software which will
> allow me to do this ?

You should note that there are two sides to a USB connection (called
"master" and "slave").  In the usual configuration, a USB mass storage
device is a slave, and your PC (or DVD drive) is the master.

Unfortunately AIUI most PC hardware is only able to act as master and
therefore cannot be presented as a USB mass storage device to your DVD
player (it's a hardware limitation).

  http://www.linux-usb.org/gadget/

On the other hand, if you have a Sharp Zaurus around that can be a USB
slave, and it runs Linux.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones