[Gllug] emulating a pendrive

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Oct 13 12:16:00 UTC 2009

On 10/13/2009 11:41 AM, Richard Jones wrote:
>> Today I came up with the idea that I might be able to connect my (linux)
>> desktop machine to the dvd player via a usb cable, and have the linux
>> machine appear like a giant pendrive to the dvd player.
> Unfortunately AIUI most PC hardware is only able to act as master and
> therefore cannot be presented as a USB mass storage device to your DVD
> player (it's a hardware limitation).

I know that Mac's can do a 'target mode' over firewire that sort of
achieves something like this ( not sure if that works over usb as well
). And I recall 'endpoint' did something similar for Linux, no idea if
its still in development and/or how stable it is:

http://oss.oracle.com/projects/endpoint/

last time I looked at it was maybe 4 years back, and it didnt work :)

- KB
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk