[Gllug] recommendation for external hard drive

Stuart Sears stuart at sjsears.com
Wed Oct 21 12:03:02 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 21 October 2009 12:31:21 Peter Corlett wrote:
> On 21 Oct 2009, at 01:12, Na Nas wrote:
> > I need to make sure that the external hard drive that I buy does
> > work with Ubuntu. I need it to be usb-only-powered and to be portable.
>
> They will all work on Linux or any other OS that understand USB mass-
> storage devices.
>
> > I'd be grateful for any recommendation.
>
> There's not much in it as the USB interface hobbles the drive
> performance, but try to avoid Maxtor. I'm quite partial to Western
> Digital drives, but haven't tried their USB units.

I've never understood the anti-maxtor thing. Maybe I've just been extremely
lucky, but they've been extremely reliable for me.

I've both a Freecom 100Gb usb-powered drive (about 4½years old now and still
going strong)
and a new seagate "Freeagent Go" 500Gb that work rather well.

More or less any usb-powered harddrive should be fine, though.

Regards,

Stuart
--
Stuart Sears RHCA etc.