[Gllug] wicd manager

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Wed Oct 28 11:12:49 UTC 2009

On Tue, 27 Oct 2009, Lucy Peters wrote:

> > - Plugging a cable in to the wifi router ports in the same
> > combination as before (not using wan) should treat the wifi router
> > as just a switch. This is also a test of that connection from cable
> > router to wifi router.
> >

> I have also plugged a cable to router port no.2

Okay, does that cable work?  If the laptop is plugged in to it rather
than the wifi router?

> > - Using the wifi router as a router would be useful, albeit VERY
> > slight disadvantage of being NATed (for games/torrent maybe). This
> > needs the wifi router to be your connected device to the cable
> > router and will need the WAN port used, DHCP should let the wifi
> > router pick up its master IP, if this doesn't work you could use the
> > web UI and put in the IP/GW/DNS settings as seen when your laptop
> > was plugged in (86.1. etc).
>
> Now I have unplugged the cable from router port no.2 and plug into the
> WAN port.
>
> I have enabled the DHCP server. Do you mean I need to enable Static
> DHCP as well?

The wifi router is both a DHCP server and a DHCP client, setting it as a
server, is fine, that'll work for all your devices attaching over wifi
and wired.

However it needs to be a client (just like your laptop) and pick up the
its IP address handed it by the cable router and as we see below...

> DHCP
> Server
>
> Enabled
>

> WAN
>
> Connection
>
> DHCP
> Client Disconnected

Disconnected isn't ideal.  One thing you've not tried yet, is using the
wifi router web UI to manually enter in the IP/def.gw details in to the
WAN configuration at this point.  Those details are the ones mentioned
in previous emails.

> IP Address
>
> 0.0.0.0

This is why the wifi router doesn't let you connect anywhere.

> traceroute -n 80.87.128.36
>
> traceroute
> to 80.87.128.36 (80.87.128.36), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
>
> 1  192.168.0.1
> 1.511 ms  3.480 ms  3.853 ms
>
> 2  * * *

This is the ONLY useful diagnostic you need, the fact that it goes
nowhere past the wifi router is the reason nothing else works: DNS,
other traceroutes, pings etc.

Damion
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk