[Gllug] Firefox

Matthew King matthew.king at monnsta.net
Wed Oct 28 10:19:21 UTC 2009

JLMS <jjllmmss at googlemail.com> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 27, 2009 at 11:39 PM, Tethys <sta296 at astradyne.co.uk> wrote:
>> --------
>> (apparently the idea
>> of a shared home directory is alien to the Firefox developers).
>>

> Which reasons are there to use shared home directories?
>
> Desktop users (which are the ones expected to be using firefox) should
> have his own home directory each associated to their respective uid.

I think you misunderstand 'shared'.

My wife's computer in the bedroom, and the computer in the front room,
have the same $HOME shared with NFS. She can only use FF on one of these
computers at a time.

Me, I understand that I have to jump through profile hoops to get it to
work, she as a 'Desktop user' is simply told, incorrectly, that a copy
of FF is already running.

More frustratingly, if you simply delete the lock files, FF runs happily
on the second machine and there are likely only a few instances when
only one needs access to a particular file or database. I don't
recommend doing this though as FF is likely to destroy your home, steal
your children and set fire to the dog.

Matthew

--
I must take issue with the term "a mere child", for it has been my
invariable experience that the company of a mere child is infinitely
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk