[Gllug] emulating a pendrive

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Wed Oct 14 11:48:22 UTC 2009

On Tue Oct 13 17:13 , Nix <nix at esperi.org.uk> sent:

>What's firewire actually used for?

Video devices and storage are pretty much the limit of Firewire these days.  Many
external hard drives come in versions that are USB & Firewire.  I use several of
the Maxtor OneTouch Plus drives and they transfer data much faster than USB and
don't load the CPU as I am doing so.  USB drives cause about 10% usage on my
system when copying to or from them and even higher if I am copying from one USB
to another USB device.  Some set-top boxes in the USA also have a firewire output
which allows you to directly connect them to a DVR or computer running DVR software.

Andy
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk