[Gllug] wicd manager

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 15:33:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009, lucypeters at mail.com wrote:

> yes I plugged the cable in router port no.2 and able to log in to
> http://192.168.0.1/ page

Okay so we know both network cables work.  It's possible your WAN port
of your wifi router is broken, as it does seem odd that the wifi router
is unable to pick up an IP from your cable router.  Either that or it's
requiring the MAC address doesn't change from the PC you used before
(your eth0 of the laptop).  There may be an option about copying/editing
MAC addresses via the wifi router web UI for its WAN interface to work.

> > Disconnected isn't ideal. One thing you've not tried yet, is using
> > the wifi router web UI to manually enter in the IP/def.gw details in
> > to the WAN configuration at this point. Those details are the ones
> > mentioned in previous emails.
>
> I have pressed the button to “DHCP Release “ and it said “Release IP
> successful”.
>
> I have pressed the button to “DHCP Renew “ and it said “Renew IP
> timeout”

So this could be any of the stuff I mentioned in the paragraph above,
broken WAN or nasty limiting by MAC address stuff going on on the cable
router.  This does need the network back in the WAN port I should add.

> Can you remind me of those details that mentioned in previous emails?

Um, okay.

IP: 86.1.111.198  (*)
Netmask: 255.255.252.0
Default Gateway: 86.1.108.1
DNS: 194.168.4.100 and 194.168.8.100

(*) You might want to plug the laptop in to the cable router again and
check /sbin/ifconfig again to check to see if this has changed recently.
You should then quickly try it via the wifi router again.

Your laptop should pick up an IP in the 192.168.0.x range with a
default gateway of 192.168.0.1 (which is the LAN part of the wifi
router).

The wifi router will have a hardwired WAN port IP as per the details
above once you configure it, it should be connected via the WAN port to
the cable router.

Damion