[Gllug] [OT] Tru64

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 10:48:26 UTC 2009

HI,

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 11:35 AM, - Tethys<tethys at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 10:05 AM, Stephen Nelson-Smith<sanelson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a client that requires some Tru64 expertise... while we can
>> readily support AIX, Solaris, *BSD and Linux, apart from minimal
>> contact with Digital Unix on Alphas we don't have anyone who can help
>> us with this.
>
> I'm not in a position to help right now, but ultimately, Tru64 is just
> Unix. What works on other versions of Unix will largely work on Tru64,
> too.

Absolutely.  I was able to pick up AIX very quickly, with my
background in Solaris and Linux.

> It uses its own filesystem, advfs, which compares favourably with
> other unices. But really, any competent sysadmin can pick up the
> details of Tru64 storage management in a very short time.

They may well be using Veritas anyway, which I also know.

> If they're
> just using basic Tru64, you might be able to convince the client that
> Tru64 specific experience isn't necessary. The exception to that would
> probably be if they're using TruCluster, which is straightforward
> enough, but they might want someone who can hit the ground running.

Yep - I'm just putting feelers out right now - I'm speaking to the
client shortly to get a better understanding of what exactly is
needed, and if it's Tru64-specific it'd be good to know I have someone
I can turn to.

S.

--
Stephen Nelson-Smith