[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 7 10:59:20 UTC 2009

James Laver wrote:
> On 7 Sep 2009, at 11:22, - Tethys wrote:
>

>> Personally, I hope that day never comes. Having had the misfortune
>> to work with countless talentless morons who had an endless list of
>> MSCE / Novell CCxx / Whatever industry "qualifications"
>>

> And I've had the misfortune to work with people who have CS degrees
> but are quite frankly muppets. If you're going to recognise it in the
> case of all those silly vendor qualifications[1], you should at least
> concede that having a modern degree means approximately nothing.

True. The door swings both ways. Personal experience of CS grads with a
few years experience and hardly any knowledge of security or <insert
another N skill areas here> and little knowledge the IT the
industry/solutions/best practices etc seems to nullify this argument.

Well, let's just all agree to get on with real world work and hope you
never have to interview with Tethys since qualifications and even
experience don't seem to help with him, what can you do?! ;-)

I hope Tethys at least appreciates that at the end of the day it all
comes down to the individual.

"Natural ability without education has more often attained to glory and
virtue than education without natural ability."
--Marcus Tullius Cicero
(Roman statesman, lawyer, scholar, and writer)

-h

--
Hari Sekhon
http://www.linkedin.com/in/harisekhon