[Gllug] Tab-complete and cursor keys in SSH sessions?

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 26 17:38:01 UTC 2009

On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 12:38 AM, general_email at technicalbloke.com
<general_email at technicalbloke.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It almost exactly a year since I abandoned Windows and switched to linux
> and although I feel I've learned a lot so far it's becoming clear to me
> that this rabbit hole goes deep! I'm now happily using Ubuntu for all my
> daily computing and using it to run my repair business and I think I
> have the basics fairly straight so it's time to start looking at
> improving my productivity at the CLI...
>
> When I SSH into another machine I've noticed the cursor keys don't act
> as they do in my normal terminal (gnome-terminal) and hitting tab seems
> to just print a control/escape character rather than completing the
> line. I assume other cool stuff such as Ctrl+r will also not work.
>
> I find these time saving features very useful so how would I get a
> remote terminal to act like my local terminal? All the machines are
> running the same OS (Ubuntu Jaunty) and I can install whatever I choose
> on any of the machines. They are all on a local Megabit, soon to be
> Gigabit LAN.
>
> I've googled around but only seem to find articles on making
> tab-complete to remember which machines you have connected to with SSH
> in the past which isn't what I'm after right now.

Most likely it is ssh deciding to serve you a shell that is under configured.

First question will be, if you login directly to the remote machine,
which behaviour do you get? If you get the expected behaviour then ssh
is playing tricks on you, if this is the case then,  in the remote
machine via an ssh session, try sourcing your .shell configuration
file (I am a ksh man, so I normally do ". ~/.profile", I suppose that
for bash you do something like ". ~/.bashrc).

If the above works, then we would need to check how your ssh is
configured to check how it is managing your login process.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk