[Gllug] Tab-complete and cursor keys in SSH sessions?

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Sun Sep 27 00:13:39 UTC 2009

John Edwards wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 05:54:28AM +0100, general_email at technicalbloke.com wrote:
> <snip>
>
>> The remote points are a stripped down custom Ubuntu Jaunty live CDs from
>> which I've removed all the X and Gnome packages. Might I have
>> accidentally removed something which has messed this up? If so what
>> packages might I need to reinstall?
>>

> I might be worth checking that you still have the xterm terminfo
> file /lib/terminfo/x/xterm

Yes I have that, it's 2.2K and looks to be full of nonsense, or at least
not text.

JLMS wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 12:38 AM, general_email at technicalbloke.com
> <general_email at technicalbloke.com> wrote:
>
>> When I SSH into another machine I've noticed the cursor keys don't act
>> > as they do in my normal terminal (gnome-terminal) and hitting tab seems
>> > to just print a control/escape character rather than completing the
>>> Most likely it is ssh deciding to serve you a shell that is under configured.
>>>
>>> First question will be, if you login directly to the remote machine,
>>> which behaviour do you get? If you get the expected behaviour then ssh
>>> is playing tricks on you,
OK, it's playing tricks on me!

>>> if this is the case then,  in the remote
>>> machine via an ssh session, try sourcing your .shell configuration
>>> file (I am a ksh man, so I normally do ". ~/.profile", I suppose that
>>> for bash you do something like ". ~/.bashrc).
>>>
>>> If the above works, then we would need to check how your ssh is
>>> configured to check how it is managing your login process.

Ah, I have no bashrc for that user! Which makes perfect sense as the
user is created dynamically by a script at boot time. It's reverting
back to /etc/bash.bashrc which has the 'bash completion' option
commented out. I'll rebuild my boot image with it enabled by default.

Thanks & fingers crossed!...

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk