[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Mon Sep 7 09:48:26 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 10:25:13AM +0100, Hari Sekhon wrote:
> Eventually the very slow moving academic world may catch up a bit to
> where the faster paced IT and business industries are today and perhaps
> start to allow for credits to experience in particular areas or at the
> very least certain other common industry qualifications that obviously
> tick off systems or databases or programming languages etc. Might be
> best to wait until then.

This is completely at odds with my experience of academia.  I was
taught stuff back in the early 90s that is so staggeringly relevant
now (when we have 8+ core CPUs) it's like they were teaching the
future.

I will accept that the industry and academic worlds don't know very
well what the other lot are doing, and that is down to academic papers
being a poor form of communication.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones