[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 7 09:57:07 UTC 2009

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 10:25:13AM +0100, Hari Sekhon wrote:
>
>> Eventually the very slow moving academic world may catch up a bit to
>> where the faster paced IT and business industries are today and perhaps
>> start to allow for credits to experience in particular areas or at the
>> very least certain other common industry qualifications that obviously
>> tick off systems or databases or programming languages etc. Might be
>> best to wait until then.
>>

> This is completely at odds with my experience of academia.  I was
> taught stuff back in the early 90s that is so staggeringly relevant
> now (when we have 8+ core CPUs) it's like they were teaching the
> future.
>
> I will accept that the industry and academic worlds don't know very
> well what the other lot are doing, and that is down to academic papers
> being a poor form of communication
It's to be expected that the theory from many years ago will eventually
became a reality, but back to the point:

They still don't allow credit for common industry qualifications and
would rather force you to go back and waste your time in baby land. Even
the Open University which is supposed to be more accessible is rigid and
does not give credits for what may be better or more employable IT
qualifications applied against a computing related degree (but then they
charge per unit so that would hardly be surprising even if they charged
per year, it feels like they want to make sure they charge you for the
full 3 years).

A good business model on the part of the university.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon
http://www.linkedin.com/in/harisekhon