[Gllug] 2.6.31 is out

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 09:45:13 UTC 2009

Hi John,

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 9:13 AM, John Hearns <hearnsj at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Kernel 2.6.31 is out, with support for some funky features including
> performance counters:
> http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_31#head-6004ec219c203c60037057dbebaf0a04fe22f19c
>
> Looks goof for people who work in HPC - as I'm used to having very
> good performance counters on
> the much-maligned Itanic.

Just out of interest, what do you do if you want to run the latest and
greatest kernel?  If you're running one of the 'Enterprise' flavours
of Linux, there won't be a package, and if you build your own from
scratch I'd be surprised if you'd then be offered any support.  Do you
run Gentoo or Slackware, or something that is supportive / encouraging
of DIY solutions?  Or do you just go ahead an build your own anyway?

I've once resorted to making my own kernel RPM from the upstream
RawHide sources and spec... what do you do?

S.
--
Stephen Nelson-Smith
Technical Director