[Gllug] Video editing

damion.yates at gmail.com damion.yates at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 21:41:44 UTC 2009

On Thu, 10 Sep 2009, - Tethys wrote:

> So the discussion about a junior sysadmin vacancy drifted slightly
> offtopic to the benefits of a university education, but now seems to
> have gone off towards a full on political debate. I'm not really
> interested (or rather, I am, but not in discussing it here).

I'm VERY tempted, but avoided it so far!

> So in an attempt to drag things back on topic, I need to edit some
> video. I would have thought my needs were fairly simple. I want to cut
> off the start and end of the video. I want to have a static image that
> I'll use as a splash screen. I want that displayed for a few seconds,
> and then to fade that into the video itself. To me, that doesn't sound
> like it should be too taxing. So what's the best application to use?
>
> So far, I've tried:
>
> - avidemux
> - kino
> - lives
>
> None of them seem to make this easy. Any alternatives I should be
> looking at? Any pointers on how to do it using one of the three I've
> already tried?

I've used kino:

$ ffmpeg -i inputfile.ext -target pal-dv /pathtoadequatespace/largefile.dv
$ kino !$

04dw (it's vi keys so that's start of file, delete 4 seconds/words).

$4bd$ (delete 4 seconds from the end, I'm not sure D is mapped)... you
get the idea.

Carry on with lovely vi-keys, or just use the mouse.

Find a still you want yl (yank left one), 050P (beginning, paste 50
times).

You can also (and I would recommend this) install FX plugins, one of
which lets you pick an image as a still and repeat it for a few seconds.
Once you've done that you can choose a fade to black and back again in
the options.  These fade operations become [.]-able commands so you can
use j (down, or end of segment) . j . to repeatadly add fading to each
scene break.

Then from the menu select to export to DVD or some such.  Or write as
(semi)uncompressed .dv and use ffmpeg again to convert to your favourite
format.

Hope that is of some use.  If you like plain simple editing and
especially if you like vi, you'll love getting in to Kino.

Damion
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk