[Gllug] PM apologises over Turing

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Fri Sep 11 11:48:10 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 08:46:59AM +0100, Jason Clifford wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-09-11 at 08:37 +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
> > http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8249792.stm
>
> A bit of easy publicity for him. I think that's the only reason he did
> it.

First of all I doubt very much that Gordon Brown actually wrote the
response himself.  I'd be slightly surprised if he did more than
briefly look at it & sign it.[1]

However, I think this is both an excellent summary of Turing's
importance during the war, and a worthwhile apology.

And besides it seems to have pleased some of his living relatives, if
the BBC report is true.

Rich.

[1] One of the arguments for giving an apology in the first place was
that the State continues as an institution, even if the same
individuals aren't around.  So this can apply equally to the PM's
office issuing statements on behalf of the PM.

--
Richard Jones
Red Hat
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk