[Gllug] The total cost of ownership to Ealing Council

James Laver gllug at jameslaver.com
Mon Sep 7 10:36:00 UTC 2009

On 7 Sep 2009, at 09:29, Tethys wrote:

> No, it doesn't. It all depends on the environment. In my case,
> it was a financial institution, where there was no legitimate
> business reason for taking data offsite on a USB stick, or for
> bringing it in on one from outside. If people wanted to transfer
> data between themselves at work, we provided several ways of
> doing that.

A previous client had the encrypted USB pens thing. They also provided
means of getting files around, which is to say email. Unfortunately
the email limits were so harsh that ultimately they ended up zipping
the file and splitting it into multiple archives. Except the one team
whose leader kicked back and refused to allow the team notebooks to be
'secured', they had no problem with file transfer.

If people resent the restrictions, you have to ask why, and generally
it's that no valid alternative has been provided. Seeing people use
rapidshare to send files because of IT restrictions is just silly.

--James
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk