[Gllug] 2.6.31 is out

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Sep 14 13:40:38 UTC 2009

On 13 Sep 2009, Peter Corlett outgrape:

> On 13 Sep 2009, at 15:50, Nix wrote:
> [...]
>> In addition to the perfcounters, we have CUSE (finally, good OSS
>> emulation with proper software mixing support!),
>
> I can see it being rather handy for virtualising and tunneling serial
> and parallel ports, now that newer systems don't have those ports.

I'm not sure that would help: the job is normally done by specialized
drivers for each USB->serial converter, and I'm not sure it would be
easier to make userspace drivers than kernel ones. (As an aside, I'm
still trying to get my Soekris console serial port to work, because it
has to work over a serial->ethernet, ethernet->serial, and serial->USB
converter. Data goes in one end and doesn't come out the other, and I'm
not really sure how to figure out where it's going...)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk