[Gllug] 2.6.31 is out

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Mon Sep 14 22:55:18 UTC 2009

On 14 Sep 2009, at 14:40, Nix wrote:
[...]
> I'm not sure that would help: the job is normally done by specialized
> drivers for each USB->serial converter, and I'm not sure it would be
> easier to make userspace drivers than kernel ones.

Sure it is. I'd just bodge something together in Perl as a prototype,
safe in the knowledge that I shouldn't be able to crash or corrupt the
kernel.

> (As an aside, I'm
> still trying to get my Soekris console serial port to work, because it
> has to work over a serial->ethernet, ethernet->serial, and serial->USB
> converter. Data goes in one end and doesn't come out the other, and
> I'm
> not really sure how to figure out where it's going...)

My RS232 inline monitor has been *very* handy in the past for
debugging that kind of setup. Usually the problem with no data flowing
is a cable (or port!) that's not wired up as expected.

Commercial units are probably as rare as hen's teeth now, but they're
also really simple and suitable for a first electronics project.
(Especially as there's about a fiver's worth of parts in it, tops, and
they seem to sell for ten times that.)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk