[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Mon Sep 7 13:58:52 UTC 2009

On 7 Sep 2009, at 10:48, Richard Jones wrote:
[...]
> This is completely at odds with my experience of academia.  I was
> taught stuff back in the early 90s that is so staggeringly relevant
> now (when we have 8+ core CPUs) it's like they were teaching the
> future.

I was being taught SSADM, non-OO Ada, and Z80 assembly language. All
skills that have served me well on no fewer than zero occasions since.

What I basically managed to carry away from the degree that was useful
was a good list of books to buy, which got me nicely bootstrapped on C
and Unix in my own time.

> I will accept that the industry and academic worlds don't know very
> well what the other lot are doing, and that is down to academic papers
> being a poor form of communication.

Not really. Industry works in the concrete using well-tried techniques
whereas academia works in the abstract looking for new techniques, so
there is necessarily an impedance mismatch between the two.

Academic papers can be hard going, but that's because good ones have a
lot of unfamiliar information in them that needs to be carefully
understood.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk