[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

- Tethys tethys at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 10:22:21 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 10:25 AM, Hari Sekhon<hpsekhon at googlemail.com> wrote:

> Eventually the very slow moving academic world may catch up a bit to
> where the faster paced IT and business industries are today and perhaps
> start to allow for credits to experience in particular areas or at the
> very least certain other common industry qualifications that obviously
> tick off systems or databases or programming languages etc.

Personally, I hope that day never comes. Having had the misfortune
to work with countless talentless morons who had an endless list of
MSCE / Novell CCxx / Whatever industry "qualifications", I can assure
you that a degree from any university that grants credit to those with
such things isn't going to be worth the paper it's written on.

Of course, that's not a causal relationship. I know several people
with such qualifications that are very capable, particularly those
with higher level ones like CCIE. But you simply can't assume that
a qualification like that guarantees you any kind of minimum level
of competence. Or indeed that N years real world experience in
a given area does either. Any university that did would be very
foolish indeed.

Tet

--
“It seems intuitively obvious to me, which means that it might be
wrong.” -- Chris Torek
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk