[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Thomi Richards thomir at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 12:00:06 UTC 2009

Hi,

2009/9/10 Hari Sekhon <hpsekhon at googlemail.com>:
> Thomi Richards wrote:
> My colleague actually emigrated to NZ last year and is doing very well
> there (he's worked there before, his girlfriend is from NZ just wanted
> to live in the UK to see what it was like but decided she'd had enough
> after 6 months so go figure). His view was if you don't like the way

I know how she feels ;)

> England is going, just leave. I can't agree that would solve anything
> but it beats banging your head trying to convince blind people that the
> sky is blue. My sister-in-law has lived for periods all over the world
> and states there are a _lot_ of British people elsewhere with no
> intention of coming back which is interesting. This is also another

My father is one of those people. New Zealand has a huge number of
ex-pat British with no intention of ever going back home.

> reason why immigration is wanted by the government, not just cheaper
> labour (which I think benefits the top dogs mainly?), but to plump up
> the population as emigration is currently at the highest rate since
> records began.

Yes, I can see your point. One of the things about this country is, as
you say: it's very hard to effect real political change. For example,
in the next general election, I can safely say that my vote is
completely meaningless - since I happen to live in an electorate where
the majority of voters will vote for a different party to the one I
would vote for. I can see why this, and other factors would lead
people to the idea that the only way to change the system is to change
the country in which you live.

Personally, I think this is a very sad state of affairs. I realise
that this is really going off topic now (but hey - we stopped talking
about employment a looooong time ago), but this is one of the reasons
why I far prefer the MMP system currently in place in New Zealand. I
believe it encourages greater participation in the politics of the
country. Once again, it's certainly not perfect, but it's good enough
for me.

Cheers,
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk