[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Thu Sep 10 10:30:32 UTC 2009

John G Walker wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Sep 2009 10:43:01 +0100 Hari Sekhon
> <hpsekhon at googlemail.com> wrote:
>

>> People have been tricked in to thinking that being in debt is ok
>>

> So you think that mortgages are a scam and that people should,
> presumably, rent until they've saved up the price of a house? How does
> this fit with your previous statements opposing social housing? Or do
> you imagine that the private sector can provide enough rents?
>
> <snip obvious and derogatory stuff>
Sorry I should have been more precise:

When people talk about being in debt, they implicitly don't include
reasonable mortgages which a lot of people have had for decades, they're
talking the newer trend of increasing personal credit card and bank loan
(non-mortgage but not excluding second mortgage) debt, which the lenders
are only too happy to push. I get several of these junk mails a week
trying to get me to take loans and pay them back with high interest rates.

I was referring to a culture of increasing debt being ok, which you must
have known and just chosen to ignore and just nit-pick at. This is
widely known and the original one line comment was a reasonable
reflection of that.

It's this culture of increasing debt which is related to the current
global economic crisis.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon