[Gllug] Long term Opensuse

Peter Cannon peter at cannon-linux.co.uk
Tue Sep 15 08:42:30 UTC 2009

John Hearns wrote:
> Now that at last we have started to discuss Linux (*)
> worth pointing out the discussions on Long Term Support for OpenSUSE -
> there isn;t an equivalent to CentOS in SuSe.

Er what do you mean by Long term support? More importantly which product
are you refering too?

openSUSE is the *community* driven project. Most releases are supported
(By the community) for a minimum of two years but you'll probably still
find someone in 2050 who can help with your openSUSE 10.1 install.

SUSE linux Enterprise comes with a Novell support package, obviously
this will run for as long as your cash holds out.

With regards CentOS as we all know that is RHEL with a different lick of
paint on and is again, supported by the community.

Red Hat (and some others) have an advantage over SUSE in that they have
the CentOS and Fedora community driven projects to draw on when it comes
to fixes and innovation.

P.S. YaST is the most sensible organisation of system management tools
and every distro should adopt it rather than having everything spewed
all over the place. ;-)

--
Regards

Peter Cannon