[Gllug] Digital Picture frames as network monitoring tools

Jon Dye jon at pecorous.co.uk
Wed Sep 2 09:49:13 UTC 2009

2009/9/2 tid <td at bloogaloo.co.uk>:
> I notice the price of digital picture frames seems to be heading south
> of £40 and
> am wondering if there's any milage in using one as some sort of front end to
> nagios. My screen these days is pretty cluttered, and like the idea of a smaller
> screen on my desk.
>
> Anyone have any experience of these things? I assume they're USB & some
> app to download the pictures...

You could try getting a DisplayLink based mini monitor device to work
like this http://sven.killig.de/openwrt/slugterm_dl.html

Disclaimer: I work for DisplayLink.

The company have released an open source userspace library
(http://displaylink.org/) and there has also been some reverse
engineering.  The combination of which has resulted in a kernel
framebuffer driver. It's all being discussed on the mailing list at
displaylink.org (which currently redirects to
http://libdlo.freedesktop.org/wiki/).

JD
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk