[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Sep 9 16:09:04 UTC 2009

On Wednesday, 9 Sep 2009, Hari Sekhon wrote:
>>Tripe. Pay _rises_ are a lot bigger in the upper tax bands; someone
>>getting that 5K raise you think is all is worth bothering with may get
>>only 2.5K of it, but no-one at the minimum-wage end of the scale is
>>getting 2.5K raises to begin with
>On the contrary, a professional earning £20K could easily get a few £K
>pay rise if said individual works hard, gets a promotion or changes job
>etc

Changing job isn't a raise, and 20K a year isn't anywhere near the
minimum wage; minimum wage on a (say) 37.5h week works out at a
smidgeon over L11K.

Again, in the upper tax band, I could easily get a bigger net
increment by changing jobs. The tax is higher but the sums involved
are higher and the differences between jobs is higher.

>it balances out. Ultimately those are the best jobs to automated where
>possible,

Thus putting people out of work - to starve, in your utopia?

>If you think you're going to make your life now, get a house, a family
>and a dog etc outside the upper tax band, good luck with that...

You seem to be confusing the situation when one is 1p into the upper
tax band with what I actually said; most people in the upper bands are
comfortably off and have no incentive to work harder regardless of the
marginal tax rate.

It should also be obvious that the vast majority of families with
houses (and dogs, etc) in Britain are not upper-rate tax payers.

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Oil is for sissies
Yesterday was Brieday, August.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk