[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Wed Sep 9 16:27:53 UTC 2009

David Damerell wrote:
> On Wednesday, 9 Sep 2009, Hari Sekhon wrote:
>
>>> Tripe. Pay _rises_ are a lot bigger in the upper tax bands; someone
>>> getting that 5K raise you think is all is worth bothering with may get
>>> only 2.5K of it, but no-one at the minimum-wage end of the scale is
>>> getting 2.5K raises to begin with
>>>
>> On the contrary, a professional earning £20K could easily get a few £K
>> pay rise if said individual works hard, gets a promotion or changes job
>> etc
>>

> Changing job isn't a raise
A technicality in wording. Changing job usually gives a raise over your
current salary as that's the primary reason for most people changing job
(secondary being working conditions but let's not get in extravagant
exceptions to the rule with "my friend's friend changed jobs to impress
his hamster" scenarios please).

> , and 20K a year isn't anywhere near the
> minimum wage; minimum wage on a (say) 37.5h week works out at a
> smidgeon over L11K.

As already mentioned it's a waste of time discussing minimum wage for
the previously mentioned reasons.

>> it balances out. Ultimately those are the best jobs to automated where
>> possible,
>>

> Thus putting people out of work - to starve, in your utopia?

No, it will just mean less immigration is required to support the jobs
that British people tend to not want to do. Like I said previously,
automating everything means you would have to reduce human populations
and since they just keep growing, it's good we're not there yet, it
would create a poverty divide as most of the population would no longer
be required and that would result in civil unrest. Automation and
population reduction should go together to keep things balanced and stable.

>> If you think you're going to make your life now, get a house, a family
>> and a dog etc outside the upper tax band, good luck with that...
>>

> You seem to be confusing the situation when one is 1p into the upper
> tax band with what I actually said; most people in the upper bands are
> comfortably off and have no incentive to work harder regardless of the
> marginal tax rate.
>
> It should also be obvious that the vast majority of families with
> houses (and dogs, etc) in Britain are not upper-rate tax payers.

That's why I said "now", think new generation, not people who were set
up in the better time pre-labour. Ok so older people were comfortably
set up before the era of labour brought higher immigration and higher
house prices, but in a few years their children will grow up and need
houses of their own to live in and start families for sustainability.
Anyone in the new generation not in the upper tax band is going to
really struggle now to get on the property ladder and the point was that
the tax threshold for that excessively taxed upper bad has not been
revised accordingly to take this in to account.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon
http://www.linkedin.com/in/harisekhon