[Gllug] Free: SCSI CDRom drives, plus caddy drives

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Sep 30 16:50:15 UTC 2009

On Tuesday, 29 Sep 2009, Nix wrote:
>I find that fans get noisy with age much faster than drives do, probably
>because drives are a sealed precision-engineered unit, while fans are
>often cheap as anything and are in any case exposed to all the dust you
>can dream of.

There's a question. QuietPC will sell me about a dozen different
models of fan in any size I use. Each model quotes a random different
subset of speed, noise output, airflow, and MTBF. Any idea how I
choose beyond going for the third cheapest?

I'd not mind a "I put a Wazco 3000D in my machine in 1998 and it
hasn't blown up yet" anecdote, even...

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!
Yesterday was First Brieday, September.