[Gllug] Free: SCSI CDRom drives, plus caddy drives

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Sep 29 19:34:12 UTC 2009

On 28 Sep 2009, Chris Bell outgrape:
>    I try to do fairly frequent clean-and-oil services which do help, but
> some drives still emit a very annoying constant high frequency whistle. I
> find that cotton wool ear plugs help me, but the vibration must be bad for
> the drive.

I find that fans get noisy with age much faster than drives do, probably
because drives are a sealed precision-engineered unit, while fans are
often cheap as anything and are in any case exposed to all the dust you
can dream of.

(Though it's intermittently impressive to me that anything with bearings
that small in it works at all.)
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk