[Gllug] The total cost of ownership to Ealing Council

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Sat Sep 5 18:51:12 UTC 2009

On Tue 01 Sep, Chris Bell wrote:

> On Tue 01 Sep, - Tethys wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Chris Bell<chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> >
> > >   My experience has been that they had banned all unauthorised access via
> > > any medium, but apparently this has been re-emphasized in further staff
> > > training. Even councillors were issued with laptops and very strict
> > > instructions.
> >
> > I'm not talking about rules and regulations, I'm talking about
> > technical solutions. The last time I had to manage a Windows estate of
> > any non-trivial size, I had USB mass storage disabled on them all as
> > one of the first things I did. Anything else is bordering on
> > professional negligence IMHO.
> >
> > Tet
> >

>    I have been told that the council is conducting a full review of their IT
> system, including choice of OS and contractors (may be Serco at present),
> with nothing ruled out. Please contact the council if you wish to offer
> advice and/or services.

   There is a report on The Register and apparently in the Guardian

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/09/04/ealing_council_wystery_malware/

although I do not understand why they describe the conflicker virus as
unknown.
Moving to Free open Source
--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)