[Gllug] The total cost of ownership to Ealing Council

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Tue Sep 1 09:44:32 UTC 2009

On Tue 01 Sep, Hari Sekhon wrote:

> Chris Bell wrote:
> > Hello,
> >    Ealing council have put the direct plus indirect cost of a single virus
> > attack to their IT system at 500,000. It was introduced via a memory stick
> I bet most of that is in IT consultancy... I can't even see it being in
> revenue loss because let's face it, what does the council ever do except
> collect and redistribute tax money? It's not like they are an online
> e-commerce site...
>
> Do you know how they estimated this cost or how many systems were affected?
>
> -h

   I understand that the full report is to be submitted within the next few
days, but according to the news report on www.ealingtoday.co.uk

The entire website and computer system was shut down, and it took nearly two
weeks to return to normal (I think that is a gross underestimate, I think it
took over six months before it stopped coughing, during which time
facilities were often unavailable)

There was a direct cost of over 200,000 for recovery, elimination of the
virus, staff overtime, and rebuilding the computer systems. Invoices and
orders at Ealing Homes had to be checked leading to extra staff costs of
170,000, unissued parking tickets led to a loss of 90,000 revenue, and
council libraries showed a loss of 25,000 in charges and fines.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk