[Gllug] The total cost of ownership to Ealing Council

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Tue Sep 1 09:47:19 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 10:36:42AM +0100, - Tethys wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 12:29 PM, Chris Bell<chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org> wrote:
>
> >   Ealing council have put the direct plus indirect cost of a single virus
> > attack to their IT system at 500,000. It was introduced via a memory stick.
>
> One has to wonder why they allowed memory sticks to be connected in
> the first place...

Because people are people and want to get what they have to do in order to not be
complained at in the easiest way possible. There may well have been rules about memory
sticks, etc, but if it makes their life easier.

I did a few days work at Ministry of Destruction (big white buildings in Whitehall) a year
ago - similar rules, but nudge, nudge, wink, wink ... we get round them.
If they can't control it, then who can ?

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk