[Gllug] Video editing

salsaman at xs4all.nl salsaman at xs4all.nl
Tue Sep 15 12:53:10 UTC 2009

On Tue, September 15, 2009 12:46, - Tethys wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 1:07 PM,  <salsaman at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>
>> Should be fairly simple to do in LiVES.
>>
>> 1) load in the video clip to be edited.
>> 2) Deselect Edit -> decouple video from audio
>> 3) select start of video to be deleted and delete it
>> 4) select end of video to be deleted, delete it
>> 5) load in static frame, copy and insert x times
>> 6) select all frames and insert silence in selection
>> 7) copy and then switch to original clip and insert before original clip
>> 8) Encode results.
>
> OK, so I've just about got there. It seems a somewhat awkward process,
> but I have a suitably trimmed video with a static splash image at the
> start and end. I can't work out any way of fading between the splash
> images and the video, but I guess I can live with a hard change for
> now.

Copy your splash-screen to the clipboard, select the part of the video
clip you want to fade in over, and then Edit -> Merge

http://lives.sourceforge.net/manual/LiVES_manual.html#section4.12.2

> However, I don't have any control over the final exported clip.
> It doesn't matter whether I select mjpeg or ffv1, or what frame size
> or rate I select. The exported clip is always exactly the same (in my
> case, huge -- far too large to sensibly upload to youtube, for
> example). This is with mencoder_encoder, which seems to be the only
> one I have installed.

Where did you get the package from ? There should be several encoders - in
particular the ffmpeg_encoder has a format which is optimised for youtube.

Cheers,
Salsaman.
http://lives.sourceforge.net

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk