[Gllug] Video editing

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Wed Sep 16 01:34:29 UTC 2009

- Tethys wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 1:07 PM,  <salsaman at xs4all.nl> wrote:
>

>> Should be fairly simple to do in LiVES.
>>
>> 1) load in the video clip to be edited.
>> 2) Deselect Edit -> decouple video from audio
>> 3) select start of video to be deleted and delete it
>> 4) select end of video to be deleted, delete it
>> 5) load in static frame, copy and insert x times
>> 6) select all frames and insert silence in selection
>> 7) copy and then switch to original clip and insert before original clip
>> 8) Encode results.
>>

> OK, so I've just about got there. It seems a somewhat awkward process,
> but I have a suitably trimmed video with a static splash image at the
> start and end. I can't work out any way of fading between the splash
> images and the video, but I guess I can live with a hard change for
> now. However, I don't have any control over the final exported clip.
> It doesn't matter whether I select mjpeg or ffv1, or what frame size
> or rate I select. The exported clip is always exactly the same (in my
> case, huge -- far too large to sensibly upload to youtube, for
> example). This is with mencoder_encoder, which seems to be the only
> one I have installed.
>
> Tet

Hi Tet,

After mentioning kdenlive to you in a previous post I decided it was
time to try it again and I'm glad I did. It seems they've rebuilt it
from scratch and it the version in the Ubuntu Jaunty repos appears to be
rock solid stable. It works with anything ffmpeg can handle (without the
need to touch the CLI - actually flash seemed a little ropey but H264 et
al seemed okay), the interface is much better than any other the other
linux NLVE systems I have seen and things like crossfading and other
effects are trivial to do.

Cheers,

Roger.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk