[Gllug] Free: SCSI CDRom drives, plus caddy drives

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Mon Sep 28 20:59:09 UTC 2009

On 27 Sep 2009, M. Blackmore outgrape:

> On Fri, 2009-09-25 at 12:41 +0100, Richard Jones wrote:
>> Maxtor that still
>> works."
>
> I've got an 8gb disk that is still in operation. Some escaped q&a
> culling.

I just shut down two 72Gb 'enterprise-grade' SCSI disks, one 57Gb and
one 10Gb IDE disk (the latter dating to, oh, 1997 I think: the former
two were 2004). Said noisy RAID array was in my bedroom less than two
metres from my head. (A rather bad choice of location, really.)

The new server is downstairs and is in any case *much* quieter. (A
better case, with a door, speed-controlled fans, and a lower spin rate
on the drives thanks to GreenPower. The power savings are nice but the
noise reduction is *noticeable*.)

It has 4Tb in its RAID array. Fuck only knows what I'll do with it. I
don't even *use* BitTorrent.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk