[Gllug] Tab-complete and cursor keys in SSH sessions?

general_email at technicalbloke.com general_email at technicalbloke.com
Fri Sep 25 23:38:03 UTC 2009

Hi all,

It almost exactly a year since I abandoned Windows and switched to linux
and although I feel I've learned a lot so far it's becoming clear to me
that this rabbit hole goes deep! I'm now happily using Ubuntu for all my
daily computing and using it to run my repair business and I think I
have the basics fairly straight so it's time to start looking at
improving my productivity at the CLI...

When I SSH into another machine I've noticed the cursor keys don't act
as they do in my normal terminal (gnome-terminal) and hitting tab seems
to just print a control/escape character rather than completing the
line. I assume other cool stuff such as Ctrl+r will also not work.

I find these time saving features very useful so how would I get a
remote terminal to act like my local terminal? All the machines are
running the same OS (Ubuntu Jaunty) and I can install whatever I choose
on any of the machines. They are all on a local Megabit, soon to be
Gigabit LAN.

I've googled around but only seem to find articles on making
tab-complete to remember which machines you have connected to with SSH
in the past which isn't what I'm after right now.

Thanks,

Roger.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk