[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Stephen Nelson-Smith sanelson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 06:12:35 UTC 2009

Morning,
> I DO object to paying huge amounts of my earnings to support
> those who can't be bothered to work.

I really struggle with this.  My sister and her husband (and three
children) live in social housing, and show very little desire or
motivation to find employment.  They also spend a huge amount of money
on cigarettes.  I share your view - I resent my tax going to people
who seem willing to take the free ride.  However, I don't resent the
basic philosophy that the better off should help those with fewer
capabilities or opportunities to have a decent standard of living.  I
think I'd like to see much tougher monitoring of benefit claimants, in
an attempt to weed out those who have decided to adopt it as a
lifestyle.

You also say you resent paying for:

> over-inflated prices for infrastructure projects

Agreed.

> a largely ineffectual government bureaucracy

I'm curious to know how/why you think this.  I'm not arguing that it
isn't the case, but this sounds just a little like a standard Daily
Mail rant.

> I'll be moving somewhere abroad with a higher
> standard of living, better weather, an infrastructure that works
> properly and sensible taxation levels.

I fancy New Zealand.  Where do you think you'll end up?

> In the meantime, I'll continue to complain about the way this once-great
> country has been and is still being ruined by corrupt government

See, there again - this doesn't sound very considered.  What evidence
do you have of government corruption?  Maybe I'm not  up-to-date - I
deliberately decline the daily diet of news - but I'm not aware of
anything truly awful.

> inept management

Could you give some examples?  Sorry if I come across as being picky,
but I'd  like to understand the basis of your views

> a largely stupid populace

And that sounds a bit arrogant :(

> who are conditioned to expect something for nothing.

I do agree with this.  I think in many ways we agree - I've worked
very hard to build my career and company, and I've had to make
significant sacrifices to achieve it.  I imagine the same is so for
you.  For this reason I lose patience with my sister when she seems to
be jealous of my family's lifestyle - she had the same opportunities
and upbringing as me - she's just chosen a different path.

S.
--
Stephen Nelson-Smith
Technical Director