[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Christopher Hunter cehunter at gb-x.org
Thu Sep 10 05:48:34 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 01:17 +0100, John G Walker wrote:

> On Wed, 09 Sep 2009 22:41:56 +0100 Christopher Hunter
> <cehunter at gb-x.org> wrote:
>
> > I don't have bank loans!
>
> Then you're a very unusual person. You don't have a mortgage, you don't
> use credit cards... Most people in the developed world, in fact, are
> heavily in debt. It's very Victorian of you to only pay out what you
> earn, but maybe that's why you feel you're badly-off, when the rest of
> us borrow as a matter of daily habit - and pay vast sums to financiers
> who contribute nothing as a result,

No.  Historically, I had mortgages and bank loans.  I worked hard to pay
off my mortgage(s) early as soon as the Westminster criminals removed
income tax relief on them.  I stopped paying interest on my credit cards
by the simple expedient of paying them off before the interest charges
start.

I don't feel that I'm badly off - I'm just unusual in that I expect to
pay for whatever I want or need, and don't expect the world to give me a
living.  I DO object to paying huge amounts of my earnings to support
those who can't be bothered to work.  I DO NOT object to paying for the
NHS (though it's a massive waste of money as it's currently organised),
and I don't object to my taxes being used to maintain the roads, empty
the dustbins, pay for the Police and the emergency services and most of
the other national infrastructure that I use.

If I didn't have to contribute for the benefit of the workshy, if I
didn't have to pay for the inefficiencies of the NHS, if I didn't have
to pay over-inflated prices for infrastructure projects and support a
largely ineffectual government bureaucracy, my tax burden would be much
lighter, and I would actually feel quite content that the level of
taxation was appropriate.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of the tax that I pay is squandered.
That's why I feel "hard done by" and why, when I no longer have to
support my Father, I'll be moving somewhere abroad with a higher
standard of living, better weather, an infrastructure that works
properly and sensible taxation levels.

In the meantime, I'll continue to complain about the way this once-great
country has been and is still being ruined by corrupt government, inept
management, and a largely stupid populace who are conditioned to expect
something for nothing.

C.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk