[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

JLMS jjllmmss at googlemail.com
Tue Sep 1 10:55:30 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 11:44 AM, John Winters<john at sinodun.org.uk> wrote:
> - Tethys wrote:
>> On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 10:18 AM, Hari Sekhon<hpsekhon at googlemail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I'm surprised we're talking about degrees any more these days,
>>> especially in a practical job like IT, I thought everyone already
>>> figured out that degrees were a waste of time and money?
>>
>> At a guess, you don't have a degree. They're far from a waste of time
>> and money. Certainly at the time I did mine, a degree in computer
>> science equipped you to deal with the world of IT far better than
>> learning on the job,
>
> <snip>

>  I did mine quite quickly and found my colleague still
> struggling with his first one.  I took a look and found something like:
>
>  IF price > 10 AND price < 2
>
> Given the required logic at that point I suggested it should be OR
> instead of AND.  He made the change and suddenly his script worked.
> Next thing I knew he did a global edit of all his scripts to change all
> the ANDs to ORs, because clearly OR was better than AND.  At this point
> I realised that I was actually a lot better at programming than most of
> those around me, despite my lack of an IT degree.
> <snip>

Uhm, er, how is that possible?

When I went to University we had extensive training in boolean logic
and did several medium sized projects in several languages (from
assembler for several architectures to C++, even LISP and Prolog!),
there is no way that somebody that had gone through a degree where I
studied would have been so unprepared.

The only caveat is that like Tet, I also went to University a few
moons ago, but surely more recent graduates can't be that incompetent?
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk