[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Karanbir Singh mail-lists at karan.org
Tue Sep 1 10:54:01 UTC 2009

On 09/01/2009 11:22 AM, Alex Smith wrote:
>>> Computer Science has any applications to working in IT?
>> Are you, perhaps, using the term 'IT' to mean sysadmin and helpdesk
>> support roles only ?
>
> No

In which case, I guess the education system in this country is failing -
  as it isnt producing  any relevant skills. Is that really how bad
things are these days ? I dont know enough people who have been through
the academic computing process in the last few years, definitely not
enough to have an opinion on the 'state of play'.

On the other hand, I do know quite a lot of people who went through the
engineering degree's and masters programs in the mid to late 90's and
also in the early 2000's. And as I've said before in this thread - by
far, the best programmers that I know are people who come from this lot
of graduates. There are always the exceptions, but there are very few
who have actually been able to get back into the theory of coding and
been able to learn / grow from there outside the academic process.

And lets not forget that a very large part of 'IT' is things like
automation, process control, embedded platforms etc. Almost no one will
get into any of those sort of areas without already having some level of
experience or competence - much of which comes from academics, perhaps
not always a degree.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk