[Gllug] 2.6.31 is out

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Sun Sep 13 17:24:23 UTC 2009

2009/9/13 Stephen Nelson-Smith <sanelson at gmail.com>:

> Not entirely sure if I count Ubuntu as an 'Enterprise' distribution -
> but even if we do I would be absolutely staggered if you tried to get
> support through the terms of your contract if you were running a
> home-built kernel.  Of course you may not care about that - but my
> (limited) experience of HPC setups is that they tend to run Redhat or
> SUSE.
Yes - mostly to do with support for commercial codes.
Your company which (say) produces a finite-element code will say it
runs on certain distros.
SuSE is my distribution of choice - they were first with an 64-bit
distro, which went on the Opeteon cluster I installed in Manchester.
Also you would have a damn sight big problem to install Debian on a
large Altix system (or even a small one!). And why would you if the
supplier installs and supports SuSE on it?

Having said that, the human genome place in Cambridge runs Debian.

 I was just wondering if John had experience of running new
> kernels under this setup.
Errrr... no!
In the past, when working at a post-house in Soho in the earlier days
of Linuc I would always 'roll my own' kernels, cutting our unneeded
features.
Later, when working with a supplier of HPC systems we did ship a
patched kernel - the special low-latency network drivers we used
(Score) at the time needed a kernel patch, so you had to stay with the
kernels we supplied.

These days though - run with the vendor supplied kernels.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk