[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

John G Walker johngeoffreywalker at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Sep 7 17:33:26 UTC 2009

On Mon, 7 Sep 2009 17:32:36 +0100 Dan Kolb <gllug at eco.li> wrote:

> More seriously, it's very hard to teach "generic" computing, because
> you will always end up using one particular implementation to
> demonstrate what you've taught.

Which is why you will find CS graduates who only know one set of
applications on the one hand and, on the other, CS graduates who get
it, and understand the general principles. There's nothing you can do
to eliminate the first lot. Believe me, many rack their brains to try.

In my (admittedly out of date) experience, the first lot are usually
the more arrogant of the two sorts,

--
 All the best,
 John