[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Dan Kolb gllug at eco.li
Mon Sep 7 16:32:36 UTC 2009

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 04:38:04PM +0100, Christopher Hunter wrote:
> The two CS lecturers I know (not in this country) both use MySQL because
> their University is not prepared to pay the exorbitant prices for MS'
> brokenware, and because they want to teach "generic" computing, rather
> than the quirks of a particular manufacturer's software.

Because, of course, MySQL doesn't have its own quirks compared to MS SQL?

More seriously, it's very hard to teach "generic" computing, because you will
always end up using one particular implementation to demonstrate what you've
taught.

Dan
--
Never count your chickens before they rip your lips off.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk