[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Chris Bell chrisbell at 3966.ukfsn.org
Wed Sep 9 19:28:17 UTC 2009

On Wed 09 Sep, Hari Sekhon wrote:

> The point is that the incentive is reduced once you reach a certain
> level because with 40% PAYE Tax + 18.5% National Insurance (Tax) it
> becomes a steeper uphill struggle to increase your take home pay. Hence
> why a flat percentage would still result in paying more tax the more you
> earn, but at least people wouldn't virtually plateau.

   My old job required me to work any hours on any days anywhere, subject to
the needs of the service. Sometimes it was busy, sometimes quiet, usually
interesting work, but often with little time to rest. Then one year I was
hit by an unexpected excess tax demand because I had crept into the 95% tax
region without realising that I was working more than normal. Ouch.

--
Chris Bell www.chrisbell.org.uk (was www.overview.demon.co.uk)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk