[Gllug] Tab-complete and cursor keys in SSH sessions?

Nix nix at esperi.org.uk
Tue Sep 29 19:31:31 UTC 2009

On 29 Sep 2009, tethys at gmail.com spake thusly:

> I tried sooo hard to avoid responding to this, I really did. But being
> the pendant that I am,

The Fates insisted that you introduce that typo, didn't they? (I'll
admit that you spend a lot of time hanging out here.)

>                        I have to point out that yes, I use cat for
> concatenating files far more frequently than I use it for viewing
> their contents.

I was about to pooh-pooh that until I realised that you're right. I use
less(1) far more. But still, for me, cat(1)'s primary use is to cat a
single file into something for which a separate process doing the
catting is required: e.g.

cat blah | while read -r FOO; do ...; done

Use <, and you'll only get the first line.
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk