[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Alain Williams addw at phcomp.co.uk
Sun Sep 13 13:55:46 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 02:48:40PM +0100, Nix wrote:
> On 10 Sep 2009, Hari Sekhon said:
> > What about people in between, working professionals who earn a decent
> > wage but can't do much with it because priority is given to the poorer
> > people who didn't work their way
>
> I'm trying to figure out who is giving 'priority' here. It's plainly not
> the free market: the richer can pay more there so get preferential
> treatment.
>
> So you plainly mean you want working professionals to get priority from
> *government* over, say, the poor.
>
> i.e., you think more should be given to those who have, at the expense of
> those who have not.

There are 2 ideas that are being confused:

1) government support to those who are poor[**]

2) government support of those who are too lazy to support themselves

Most people are happy with (1) but not (2).

The problems are:

a) that there is an overlap of those in group (1) & those in group (2)

b) it is difficult to distinguish between those in group (1) & those in group (2),
   at least to be able to do so in legislation.

If you could reliably achieve (b), I suspect that you would have the ear
of many politicians.

> What a repulsive attitude.

[**] The definition of 'poor' is not the issue here

--
Alain Williams
+44 (0) 787 668 0256  http://www.phcomp.co.uk/
Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk