[Gllug] Translations between English and Chinese

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at workshy.org
Wed Sep 23 08:33:20 UTC 2009

On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 11:52:51PM +0100, Chris wrote:

>    I am an engineer and have experienced some problems with hardware
> manufactured by his company. He is expected to fly to the UK to conduct his
> own investigations on similar hardware imported by friends. I assume that he
> is a capable engineer who knows his own products, while I have some ideas
> about what has gone wrong without having the full product information.

I really don't see how you can have a meaningful conversation about that
by a combination of pointing, diagrams and babelfish.  You need clarity
and precision for that kind of discussion, so you really
need a decent human translator.

Imaging trying to play charades with somebody who doesn't speak your
language.  That's what this will be like.

--
Bruce

If the universe were simple enough to be understood, we would be too
simple to understand it.