[Gllug] VACANCY: Junior Systems Support

Hari Sekhon hpsekhon at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 7 16:03:29 UTC 2009

Richard Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 03:23:04PM +0100, Hari Sekhon wrote:
>
>> Work oriented training. We need plumbers, builders, electricians,
>> medical staff, mechanics, lorry drivers, whatever etc....
>>
>> Work backwards: look at jobs you want to get people in to, especially to
>> fill gaps and reduce dependence on foreign labour or wish to compete
>> with foreign countries. Determine what is needed in terms of skills to
>> do that job, make a course/apprenticeship/whatever based on that and get
>> people to go through it, market it as practical etc etc... exactly the
>> opposite of what universities are doing basically. Learn for jobs, don't
>> learn to learn and then be unemployed.
>>

> Realistically this is a risky proposition.  So you identify that (say)
> lorry drivers are in demand, and start training youngsters to drive a
> lorry.
>
> Trouble is that at age 16+ people have the most plastic of brains, and
> you really want to be giving them general education (the skills to
> learn how to learn).
>
> Because when they come to be aged 40 or 50, and lorry driving is no
> longer an occupation that exists (out of the jobs you listed above,
> driving a lorry is something a computer *will* be able to do better),
> then you've got a workforce who don't have the ability to learn to do
> something else.

Good point, but those same people aren't going to be able to re-train or
at least compete for employment at that age anyway... not against
younger sharper people and especially not if a computer can out think
them, how many jobs could such people do vs the computer anyway then???
The employers will simply hire the computers.

-h

--
Hari Sekhon
http://www.linkedin.com/in/harisekhon