[Gllug] Intermittent Network Loss on Centos Web Server

Peter Corlett abuse at cabal.org.uk
Tue Sep 22 21:26:14 UTC 2009

On 22 Sep 2009, at 18:27, George Siddiqui wrote:
> I'm experiencing regular intermittent (10-20 per day)  network dropout
> (over SSH and HTTP) on a web server running Centos 5.3 and was
> wondering if someone here could suggest what I could try next.

Assuming that the network infrastructure is otherwise sane and
functional, pretty much every intermittent problem with network cards
on Linux can be solved by ripping out the useless piece of crap
currently installed, and replacing it with an Intel card.

My caveat about sane and functional networks is because occasionally
you find some muppet network admin has done something stupid on the
switch like turn off autonegotiation, which is required for GigE to
work reliably. To fix this, you can either break a few fingers until
the network admin gains a Clue, or if that doesn't work, drop an
unmanaged switch between the misconfigured switch and your kit and
hide it.

The latter "fix" appears to be common enough that two port switches
exist, even though they are theoretically pointless.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at gllug.org.uk